by concerned citizens who recognized that the Louisa County Shelter facility was in very poor condition and its daily operation was underfunded, understaffed, and generally inadequate for the growing numbers of homeless and unwanted dogs and cats in Louisa County. The volunteers that make up the LHS believe that healthy, adoptable animals do not need to be euthanized if spay and neuter programs are supported, aggressive adoption programs are implemented, and a public educational campaign on responsible pet ownership is launched within the community. We depend on volunteers and welcome anyone who loves animals and who is willing to give a little time to the effort. The Louisa Humane Society is incorporated with non-profit 501(c)(3) status.
The mission of the Louisa Humane Society is to improve the quality of life for the homeless and abandoned animals of Louisa County; and to provide a clean, safe environment for these unwanted animals while making every effort to place adoptable animals into new, loving, responsible homes.
There are so many ways to help us out. Some of the areas in which volunteers are needed include:
- Walking, bathing, and petting dogs and cats at the shelter.
- Participating in Adoption Outings, which usually take place on the weekends.
- Driving animals to various appointments or foster homes.
- Fostering dogs, puppies, cats, or kittens.
- Public relations of all kinds, such as writing articles, writing and placing ads, writing a newsletter, etc.
- Fund-raising and grant writing.
- Establishing community outreach and education programs in the public schools.
- Donating money, gifts-in-kind or old articles such as towels, blankets, crates, etc. GIFTS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE!
- Join iGive.com, and support LHS every time
you shop at online stores you already visit!
- Buy some cool LHS stuff from our new Pets on Tees Store! Click here to go to our store. http://louisahumanesociety.petsontees.com/
- Check out Cars 4 Causes - where you can donate your car, boat, RV or motorcycle, help LHS and get a tax deduction all at the same time! See our How You Can Help Us page for details.
This list is only a beginning of the ways that you can help. Bring your special talents to the LHS and have fun too! Check out the link "How You Can Help Us" for a complete list.
By clicking on our donation link, you will go to the LHS PayPal page, where you can make a secure donation to us. This site is safe, and best of all, you don't need a PayPal account (or sign up for one) to help us out! Thank you.